Friday 6 December 2013

RIP Tata Madiba.

You'll always remember what you were doing the moment that you heard Nelson Mandela had died. It's one of those odd, life-changing split-seconds, in which the world stands still, and jumps on to the same page for a little while. You cannot deny the relevance of a man who helped heal the wounds of a country in chaos. 

Being 24-years-old, I never really endured the shackles of Apartheid. My friends are neither Black, nor White, nor Coloured, and I have been gifted with the opportunity of being surrounded by people of different colours, sizes, shapes and sex. Would this have been a legitimate thought if Tata Madiba had never lived? No, probably not. 

There have been many times in my life, in which I have been burned by the flames of fake friends, sour relationships and downright foolishness. The post-mortem of these life-changing incidents were conducted with strength and forgiveness, which I partially owe to Nelson Mandela. 

Watching a man live his life without an ounce of bitterness was a luxury, and subconsciously shaped my decisions whether I knew it or not. We learn to forgive others when they do not know any better, and to simultaneously pick ourselves up.

No time for grudges, because "resentment is like drinking poison and hoping that it will kill your enemies". 


I can date whoever I want. I can love whoever I want. Yes, there will always be people who are against your game, but we will never be arrested or condemned for choosing to lust after someone whose skin colour does not match our own. Take away Madiba, and I would probably have been kicked out of the dating pool about 3 times by now. 


Nelson Mandela taught us that we should never treat ourselves as inadequate, and that playing things small does not help the world. Right now, I am in a position to pursue my dreams, because an attitude of ambition and love has been ingrained in me. If I had never heard of a man who defied the world's expectations, I am not sure that I would be who I am today. 

You're just an ordinary Indian girl from Durban, who are you to think that you could one day be famous?  

I'd probably have heard that long before I could even envision a life of creative indulgences for myself! And, that would have broken my soul. My point is that Madiba fed me a sense of self-belief and persistence, so that I could live the life I was meant for. Without him, I would never know what it feels like to pursue my dreams and feel truly liberated.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall." Rest peacefully Tata Madiba. And, thank you for shaping me into who I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment