Thursday 26 January 2012

My Oprah Moment

Expiry Date. Deadline. Terms that are usually met with a bit of hesitance, a little trepidation and one too many "can we press the pause button" moments. I sat down at my desk, with the purest of intentions - the latest shoe trends of 2012. YES PLEASE! However, The Oprah Winfrey Show was on t.v, and so began my somewhat weird affair with love, family and loss. This specific episode of the show highlighted the story of the intelligent, wise and witty Erin Kramp. Huh? Okay, so most of you have probably never heard of her, and so I urge you to turn to my favourite friend Google. This might force you to turn to my other favourite friend Jose Cuervo, as this heart-wrenching tale of a mother dying of breast cancer is far too emotive to be put into words.

Erin constantly lived with the end in mind. She was well aware of her fate, which prompted her to record videotapes for her young daughter to watch one day. Pieces of hope, love and advice that were created with the knowledge that this would be the only way in which she would be remembered. Living with the intention of creating awe-inspiring memories that can be crammed within a time frame is mind boggling. Life does not usually have a deadline, and yet we encounter selfless individuals who have no other option other than to simply breathe, create, inspire - LIVE.

Time often runs out far before we expect it to. Trust me. Experience in this realm of the ticking time bomb can instigate feelings of reslessness, anger, procrastination, angst and far too many "let's-pretend-that-we-are-other-people" cocktail sessions. Personally, I have experienced death in the most ugly of ways. UGLY - not a word that I use often, but one that describes cancer in a freakishly accurate manner.

Sharing inner turmoil is not meant to depress, or force someone to grab the nearest bottle of vino so that they can gladly forget anything not worth remembering.. I really believe that this canvas of a blog is my attempt to inspire; to urge people to create and to live each day with purpose and with intention. Yes, I am having my very own Oprah/Dr.Phil moment.

I often think that we are bombarded with far too many "live each day as if it were your last moment" lectures, which is really not my intention. I simply believe that we are responsible for creating our own unforgettable moments in life, and these moments deserve to be lived. Every person deserves to have their very own story to tell at the old age home, while screaming "BINGO" at the top of their (collapsing) lungs.
 
Life is a crazy, weird and wonderful journey. Seize it. Own it. Live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment