Tuesday 11 June 2013

Seapoint Food Coma

Seapoint. An incandescent spot for the young, not-so-young and those with curves to kill. Cape Town's dynamic foodie culture has really given incongruent groups of people the chance encounter of becoming lunch time allies. I've lived in Cape Town for around 2 008 days now, and yet I only recently discovered one of it's most loved eateries

Giovanni's Deli World 



The laid-back ambience of this Seapoint institution is addictive. Patrons are planted at bustling tables on the sidewalk, the aroma of robust caffĂ© hits you in just the right spot and dark-haired stallions are munching on delicate pastries. You immediately feel as if you have absorbed a part of 'Little Italy'. My friend Sarisha dragged me off to Giovanni's on an early Sunday morning, professing that I'll absolutely "love this little place". And, she was right. 


Giovanni's is primarily a deli come cafe, and is especially well-known for their 'make your own sandwich' bar. You pick your own choice of homemade bread - rye, wholewheat, ciabatta, bagels, baguettes, wraps, croissants - the options are endless. Off you go to the deli, where there is a wide selection of cold meats, fish, roasted vegetables, cheeses, dips, salads and pesto to choose from.


The BEST coffee I have ever had
Sarisha got a bagel with smoked salmon, cream cheese, avocado and capers, which I found to be quite reasonable at R45. I wasn't in my usual starving mood, as I had already had my early morning Sunday brekkie of scrambled eggs. Cravings? Broccoli, steamed butternut and a pickle. Some may find this amusing, but it was one of the yummiest combo's I had ever had. The thrill of a visit to Giovanni's seems to be their potent caffeinated brew - this stuff is the real deal! 
Sarisha's Salmon Bagel
Looks rather bare, but I loved it
I highly suggest that you swing by Giovanni's, whether it be to become part of the chic devotees of an infamous pseudo-Italian hangout, or if you are simply craving a 'stuff-your-face' session. This place knows good food, and they know their people. You might even find yourself a regular.

103 Main Road | Green Point | Cape Town | +27 (0)21 434 6893



No comments:

Post a Comment