Sunday 23 February 2014

Quarter-life Crisis #1

I recently realized that I'll soon be turning a quarter of  a century. Ouch. The pressure to settle down hasn't hit me yet, but logging onto social media can certainly give a girl FOMO when it comes to the eternal combat of love vs lust. 

Getting married at 25 seems to be a trend, which I've vowed not to indulge in. Give me my space, let me eat cereal for supper and don't ever tell me that my skirt is too short. 


We fear being told what to do, as if getting hitched will somehow dislodge a long-awakened desire to be dragged into a cave by our hair. 

The failure to my screwed up thinking is that getting married isn't a life sentence, unless you marry a douchey frog dressed in a Ryan Gosling suit. 

Perhaps my bucket list is to blame for my affliction for staying single. A list of must-do things for any generation Y baby - visit Marina Bay Sands in Singapore, buy an apartment in New York, pray with the monks in Thailand, win an award for something I'm really good at - the list really is a summary of my love affair with life. If I was dating someone, would I realistically have the time and energy to focus on my dreams? 



Love is an all consuming drug, which often kicks out those hopes of moving to a farm in Wisconsin to grow pears. Maintaining a relationship can be draining. Unless, you're dating the male version of YOU, which really is perfection in a rare moment. The right person encourages you to pursue your desires, and never lets you lose an opportunity to grow. Fact. 


My point is that before you dash off to the altar, make damn sure that you've ticked off those must-do's that you swore you would accomplish when you were 16. That rare enthusiasm for life should never diminish with love, lust, age or heartache.  Your 20s should be about building a life that you'll be proud to share with someone one day, and until that time comes - just enjoy the ride

No comments:

Post a Comment