Saturday 25 May 2013

..Because Hipsters Don't Lie

Breathe in some Bree Street and you will have been introduced to Cape Town's favourite hipster-watching spot. I love Bree Street. I'm a little bit obsessed with the curved paths, the whiff of coffee permeating through the air and the occasional pretty boy staring at his own reflection. 

I don't know how many synonyms I could use to convey my deep infatuation with this laid-back, free-thinking and stylish route of imagination. To me, Bree Street is like my very own yellow brick road - you discover what you want to see, or rather what your inner creative desires. 

For an insanely great cup of coffee, try Jason Bakery. I often find myself gazing into the hatch at Jason Bakery, resisting the urge to take a swipe at the array of croissants and pastries on offer. Instead, I adopt the cool kid's morning routine - sipping on a really good cup of Deluxe Coffeeworks coffee! This place really knows how to wake a kid up, between all the caffeine and morning chatter. 

I've heard their bacon croissants are pretty good too - sadly, I don't eat bacon, and I like Babe way too much to ever sway.


This is me after a cup of Jason's coffee

Frost yourself at Lady Cupcake. I really believe that I was a professional cupcake eater in my last life, which is why you'll often find me drooling over pretty creations from Lady Cupcake. The flavours vary from smooth red velvet, to a hint of spice with chili chocolate and to an outrageous bacon, cinnamon and maple cupcake. Plus, they cover happy hour too - pina colada or beer cupcakes anyone? 

Americans do lots of things right (think Honey Boo Boo & deep fried chocolate), but there are certain things that they do great - like, Clarkes Bar and Dining Room. They serve up classic American fare in huge portions, which makes this spot perfect for a hungry heart like mine. They make a mean meaty burger, magical cheesy fries and decadent french toast topped with nutella, ricotta and pecans - so I suggest that you ditch the diet, when you feel like taking in their authentic American hipster vibe. Their tagline is 'we got food, we got liquor, we got music'. Enough said.




Get dressed up for a date with a potent drink at Orphanage Cocktail Emporium. The name is rather awful, and there aren't any Oliver Twist types - but there are lots of yummy concoctions, and a decadent interior that allows you to pretend that you're at party thrown by Jay Gatsby himself. This place is pretty damn beautiful, and is devoid of the binge-drinking that often accompanies a 'quiet stroll on Long Street'. Plus, they have a cocktail called 'Daddy Warbucks' - rum, lime, ginger beer, almond & rose water syrup - that I intend on having the next time I pop by.




No comments:

Post a Comment