Tuesday 14 April 2015

Has the Internet F**ked Us Up?

I'm infamous for being an internet enthusiast. I spend much of time eating up propaganda, music, series, pop culture anecdotes and general enlightenment online.

But, you see, the internet is more than a mere techno tool for me - its my way of learning, growing and understanding the world, when travel is not always a means.

The internet understands us and gives us what we want - if we treat it right. Dislocate the respect and you're left with a broken ego, which is drowning in the burden of maintaining an online persona. Our elders insist that we're tech addicts, who can't spend a second apart from nearest & dearest gadgets - queue the smartphone, tablet, WhatsApp, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. 


On a typical day, you'll find me sitting at my laptop, meandering through some delicious URL, with my earphones plugged in and my cellphone at my side. Disgusting, right? I feel no shame in being locked into a seductive liaison with the internet - the guy's rather giving, and never disappoints when it comes to satisfaction. 

The problem only arises when you forget to live outside your PC. When you begin living through a rather photoshopped online persona, devoid of truth or authenticity. Keep your WiFi on kids, but don't forget about creating real, tangible experiences - that's life. The internet only helps us prepare for it.

The attitude and habits of today's kids have been brilliantly depicted by designer Ajit Johnson in a series of minimalist posters, which certainly gave me a laugh.

















No comments:

Post a Comment