Tuesday 14 February 2012

Four Little Letters

It's weird how people choose one day out of a potential 365, to prove that they love their significant other/ significant cat. I am not at all opposed to receiving chocolates or flowers; in fact Valentines Day usually brings out my inner girl. But, I'm just somewhat confused as to why you would simply choose a single day on which to express your deepest desires and "fidelity".

I usually spend the day practicing my "law of attraction" techniques, imagining that some poor sod will take pity on me in the chocolate aisle of the supermarket, and proceed to wine and dine my lovely self. Sigh - a girl can dream. The day usually pans out with my friends and I ranting about how depressing the day is, filled with endless Facebook wall posts from those whom are coupled up.

"I love my *insert name* so much. He rocks my world." 
(5 minutes later)
"I love him even more than I did 5 minutes ago. *Insert name* let's run away together, have our 2.5 kids and build our white picket fence."

I really hate sounding bitter, but the fact is that an overdose of mushy love can do this to a girl. I blame it on all the corny movies that lied to me as a kid. Oh yes, I will one day get kidnapped by a bunch of short men, who will take me to the woods, and thus make way for a dashing prince to kiss me, and wake me from my slumber. Oh, and who could forget the aesthetically challenged man, whom will make me fall in love with him with a single growl and his house full of talking furniture.

The Notebook




Oh wait, I do sound bitter. Let's laugh this moment off, and pretend that we are grateful for the "kick her, she's single" signs on our backs. Girly dinners filled with rude shaped gifts and bottomless wine is the best cure for days like this. I say, spend it it with the girls who hold back your hair when things get a little too fun, the ones whom promise to beat up any guy who plays with your cardiovascular system, and the one who help you clean your flat when the fridge decides to overflow with the smell of death.  Make today a celebration of the all those you love - friends, family and pets alike.

Just try to enjoy every moment of every love and loss. It really does teach you something.

No comments:

Post a Comment