Wednesday 1 February 2012

Red Carpet Trends

The 2012 awards season has begun - complete with divas who pout a little too much, and studs whom have abandoned any qualms with penguin-esque gear. I simply love watching my favourite stars walk down the red carpet; I tend to devour every inch of their attire while engulfing an entire tub of popcorn.


Hollywood never fails. A few stars somehow managed to resemble a child playing dress-up in Lady Gaga's closet, while most looked sparkly, elegant and absolutely red carpet ready. The trend this season seems to be the fringe, or in American terms - bangs. The retro hairstyle is back with a force as it transforms an ordinary face into an "attitude". My favourite looks from the Golden Globe Awards, and the Screen Actor's Guild Awards, all point me in the direction of starlets aiming to make a statement. High-fashion. Elegance. Muted tones. And just the right amount of attitude. 


Charlize Theron
My favourite surprise for the night was definitely Charlize Theron. It's been a long time since this once show-stopping actress has created a buzz by simply sporting a huge bow on her hip. I don't hate the nude Dior gown, but the extra padding on the side is never good for a grown woman. It could have been potential perfection, so I vouch for Charlize dressing for her age. However, the dress is pure romance, and saves itself from being trashy with the subtle make-up and jewellery.

Rose Byrne
There is no fence or middle-ground on this one. You either love it or you hate it! Rose Byrne took the biggest fashion risk of the night at the SAG Awards, and it paid off. Deciding to wear a plunging Ellie Saab jumpsuit to one of the biggest nights in La-La land translates to "mediocrity is not part of my vocabulary". The 70's inspired look, complete with a gold clutch and a sparkling pout is absolutely heavenly. Fresh. Different. Form fitting. My favourite so far.


Salma Hayek
This is one of those moments in which I find myself staring, drool-faced and gobsmacked. Salma Hayek pulls of the sultry and sexy look without showing too much. Her loose curls accentuated the strapless African inspired Gucci gown, with metal plating and Black sequins. Salma continuously manages to show off her best assets without crawling into "trashy land". 

No comments:

Post a Comment