Thursday 1 August 2013

It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to

Being an only child, my birthday has always been clouded in slight narcissism and amour-propre. 

I feel no shame in devoting a little solo time to myself - we work hard, we get the job done, and thus we reward ourselves with sprinklings of sugar and love once a year. We deserve it, right?

Our generation seems to love birthdays way too much. Cordial invites to dates in the sandpit have turned into week long events, dedicated to getting sloshed and breaking it down to In Da Club.

We're obsessed with celebrating the day we made our entry into the world - birthdays have now become birthweeks

A week-long shindig that's usually spent bar-hopping along to your own muddled up beat, lashings of cupcakes (yes, those are cool again) and a birthday kiss (or two). 

I feel horrible making people fork out their hard-earned cash on my birthday. Suddenly, the week morphs into me-me-me, and your friends are expected to go along with that. 

So, the next time your 'let's get happy because I'm alive' day comes along, spare a thought for the rest of the world. Turn on your pride, turn off the ego and celebrate with everyone in mind - no one likes the diva in the corner!

This is me when I wake up up on my birthday
Every girl needs a birthday dance
Never get dressed while pre-drinking
One tequila. Two tequila. Three tequila....
Bad decisions!
Don't you love it when the Thunda photographers roll in?
End of tequila. End of night.

No comments:

Post a Comment