Saturday 28 September 2013

Are you really living in an adult apartment?

The moment I moved to Cape Town was the moment I realised how much I actually appreciate home and its  never-ending comforts. 

Home. You never run out of light bulbs. Your Saturday mornings are filled with the smell of scrambled eggs and coffee. A Sunday newspaper magically appears out of nowhere. I'm convinced that the sheets are drowned in the sweet smell of Staysoft. Oh, and you always seem to have enough hangers in the wardrobe. I swear my house in Durban is run by Martha Stewart. 


Instead, I was shoved into a box-like UCT res, shared 3 bathrooms with 12 other girls, and ate 2-minute noodles for most meals. Needless to say, Mr Delivery was on speed dial. 


Now that I have a little Mi Casa, I can honestly say that I admire those Bree van Der Camp types. The ones who are able to wash the dishes as soon as they hit the sink, while simultaneously baking some buttery goodness on a Sunday. 

Having your own apartment is liberating. I have the freedom to decorate the walls with retro Marilyn Monroe posters. I can eat carrot cake for supper if I've had a bad day. And, it's okay if my bed sheets don't match my duvet. 

Having an apartment that's decked with all the right amenities instantly makes you appear more together, right? But, at 24, are we actually living in adult apartments, or are we still stuck in the student mindset?

You're probably living in a big people's pad, if you can identify with the following.

1. You have an actual sofa. Sadly, sleeper couches don't count.


2. You don't only watch movies on your laptop.


3. You have a pot plant. And, not the shady green stuff!


4. You drink wine out of wine glasses - no paper cups here.


5. Instant noodles only make an appearance at the end of the month.


6. You keep your soap in a dish or bottle.


7. You actually frame your pictures, and hang them up without prestik. 


8. You keep your booze properly stacked in a cupboard/rack. The floor doesn't count.


9. You own a rug.


10. Your ice block tray is always filled.

2 comments:

  1. OMG........... I'm coming to CT and u definitely not on the student paygrade if your bar is stacked with ABSOLUT........... ;) BUT all in all............. nothing beats home schweet home until its ur own home schweeeet home............ with botles on the the floor nogal.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps............. no ice? there's always a garage around the corner.......... No frills or fruits attached....

      Delete