Monday 22 July 2013

Danielle Margaux. More than just a label.

I recently had the pleasure of chatting to Danielle Vermaas - the fashion-forward mastermind behind the Danielle Margaux brand. Danielle is pure chic. Understated sophistication. A modern woman in transition. 

Danielle is passionate about creating excellent tailoring and classic feminine lines, which exude the charm of yesteryear. The new Danielle Margaux range will be unveiled at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Cape Town, which takes place from 7-10 August. 

Have you always been interested in fashion?

I have been interested in fashion, since I can remember. After traveling overseas, I decided to study fashion, and here I am now! Thinking back, I went through different stages like buying vintage clothing or making garments and wearing them - the interest has always been there.

How did you go about setting up the Danielle Margaux brand? 

Since I started studying fashion, I have always wanted to show at  fashion week under my own label. I therefore had to put a time limit on it, and said that by the time that I turn 30,  I would have my own label. I left KLUK CGDT when I was about to turn 29, and the Danielle Margaux label was born.


What can we expect from you collection at this year’s MBFW? 

     The collection is inspired by artists such as Yves Kline, Jackson Pollack and Rothko. It also has a very nautical/sporty influence and this would be visible in the cut and prints used. It still remains feminine, but it has quite an edgy twist .

    What advice would you give to a young designer who is starting out in the South African fashion industry? 

     It's not easy, but as long as you are willing to work hard, put in the hours and have the 
     drive - you'll succeed! 

    What are you top 5 key items for staying trendy, yet practical in Winter?

     A trench coat, a good pair of stockings, a pair of leather boots, an interesting scarf and a bright nail color that turns heads.


     What fashion trend do you love to hate? 

     Guys or girls who let their boxers/g-strings stick out!

      Which are you favourite clothing stores?

     I tend to look at overseas designers more and I love Chanel, Donna Karan and Malene Birgir. For obvious reasons, I am inspired by KLUK CGDT, and I regard myself as very 
     fortunate to have worked there. I quite like second hand stores - it's interesting to see how garments were made decades ago! I especially love Stock Exchange in Kloof Street, which sells overseas second hand designer items.  

What motto do you live by?

"Do everything while you still can, so that you do have any regrets when you're older."



Visit the Danielle Margaux website here to find your nearest stocklist!

No comments:

Post a Comment